This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PROVIDENCE CHAPEL AND MANSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PROVIDENCE CHAPEL AND MANSE

List entry Number: 1022667

Location

PROVIDENCE CHAPEL AND MANSE, 86

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lyneham and Bradenstoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 316735

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 97 NE LYNEHAM BRADENSTOKE (north side)

7/47 No. 86, Providence Chapel and Manse 17.1.55

II

Strict Baptist chapel and attached minister's house. Datestone 1777 in gable by Isaac Turner of Calne. Brick, stone quoins and window dressings, stone rear wall, stone slate roof. Chapel, gable to street with house to rear left, attached later. C19 gabled porch. Chapel Flemish bond, tall windows with wood glazing bars under segmental heads; key stones and abaci. Steep gable quarter- hipped at apex, containing similar segmental headed sash window. Crowning bellcote reconstructed c1960. Interior remodelled early when access removed from original position on side of building, again refitted c1926. Simple pews and gallery over entrance. Clock and bell 1775 by John Broom of Castle Combe. House 3 bay with gable stacks. Brick, sash windows. Monuments: EDWARD BRYANT, 1838 died 1782, and MAY his wife, shield tablet with weeper leaning on urn in gable, bas relief. RICHARD PRIOR 1791 by LOVATT of Bath (Thomas Lovatt). Prior gave land for the cemetery at rear in 1778, see datestone reset in cemetery wall. JOHN SUTTON 1828.

Listing NGR: ST9992279350

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 99922 79350

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 01:45:42.

End of official listing