CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS AND RAF CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1022671
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS AND RAF CHAPEL, CALNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS AND RAF CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:48:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS AND RAF CHAPEL, CALNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lyneham and Bradenstoke
National Grid Reference:
SU 02392 78739

Details

SU 07 NW LYNEHAM CALNE ROAD (west side)

8/60 Church of St. Michael and All Angels and RAF Chapel 17.1.55

II

Anglican parish church and chapel for R.A.F. base. C14 - C15 and chancel 1862-5 by William Butterfield. Coursed limestone, ashlar to lower part of tower and porch. Roof slate, some old stone slates and asbestos slates. Nave and south porch, north aisle C15, much restored. Short west tower, late C14. 3-light Perpendicular windows to aisle and blocked north door, all C15. Tower: 2 stage, crenellated, west door c1350 -1400. Nave windows restored Perpendicular. Chancel Decorated forms, mid wall string stepped up at east end. Transverse gabled vestry. Internally, 4 bay C19 nave arcade, 5 bay roof: scissor braces with cinquefoils in apex boarding, by Butterfield. Chancel 2 bay, trussed rafter roof. Large sedilia, severe piscina. Aisle roof moulded rafters and purlins, 1680. Rood screen C15 panelled, with quatrefoil tracery, no doors, heavily repainted. Tower arch screen, C17, arcaded panels and pendents over central doors, also repainted. Pulpit, Cl9, part octagon. Font: Octagonal on moulded base, painted. Monuments: In north aisle; HENEAGE WALKER, 1758, veined white marble. Broken pediment on Corinthian columns, crested arms and lamenting angels. DIONYSIA WALKER, Marble tablet with segmental head. JOHN WALKER HENEAGE, 1806 by T King of Bath. White marble relief of grieving figure by broken column, on grey marble oval. ARABELLA WALKER HENEAGE, 1818, white and black marble, also by T. King. Scroll with urn over. JAMES BUTTON WALKER, 1817. COLEBROOK WALKER, 1757. By organ: Dame ELEANOR BUTTON (of Tockenham Court) 1706. Limestone aedicule enclosing marble plaque recording legacy (Amount altered). C17 Houselling bench in chancel. Organ by Sweetland. Glass; East window by Gibbs.

Listing NGR: SU0239278739

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316747
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04118/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Thatcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].