This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PRIORY COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIORY COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1022712

Location

PRIORY COTTAGE, 28, WOOD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wootton Bassett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 316851

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT WOOD STREET (south west side)

11/175 No 28 (Priory Cottage)

II

House, C16 -C17, stone with pebbledashing, timber framed gables and stone slate roof. 2 storey, 2 parallel ranges end on to street; left of 1 bay with front stack and cellar now extended forward; adjoining range 2 bays with lateral stack. Leaded windows within timber casements, some C17 iron casements. Timber lintels. Internally, stacks of axe dressed ashlar; right wing with fireplace having chamfered stone jambs and chamfered cambered oak lintel. Stack to left range with fine overmantel of c1600. Late C17 turned balusters to stair rail between ranges. Deep chamfered ceiling beams. Building is said to be on the site of the small hospital of St. John, founded 1266 and dissolved prior to 1500. Internal dressed stone, including one with recessed curved handrail, probably re- used from hospital. Reference: VCH Wiltshire, Vol III, 368-9)

Listing NGR: SU0653682622

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1956), 368-369

National Grid Reference: SU 06536 82622

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022712 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 02:06:16.

End of official listing