Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1022715

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Statutory Address: COLES FARMHOUSE


Ordnance survey map of COLES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 12:05:41.


Statutory Address: COLES FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Box

National Grid Reference: ST 81113 69201


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/2 Coles Farmhouse

20 12 60 II*

House, dated 1648 and 1685, rubble stone with stone tiled roof, coped gables and paired diagonal end wall stacks. Two and a half storeys with additional attic, L plan. Recessed ovolo-moulded mullion windows. East front with 2 gables, each with single light over 3-light window, both with hoodmoulds. First floor, two 2- light windows to left under single hoodmould, ground floor 3-light each side of 2-light window, replacing door, continuous hoodmould stepped; over the 2-light window. C20 lean-to to right connecting with C20 projecting gabled single storey kitchen. Left gable dated PW 1646, right gable E/W/S 1685. South gable end is paired with south gable on rear wing. Hipped dormer between gables. Attic blank keyed oval over 2-light window with hood to left gable, first floor 3-light with hood and relieving arch to left, 2-light with hood to centre and 2-light with hood to right side. Ground floor: 4-light with king-mullion has relieving arch left, centre 2-light window, under linked hoodmoulds. Plank door in moulded Tudor- arched surround with imposts, keystone and hoodmould to right side. Left side has moulded plinth stepped over two 2-light basement windows. West gable end, coped gable, blank oval in apex, 2-light attic window with dripstone, 3-light first floor window with hood and relieving arch and 4-light ground floor window with dripcourse stepped over window. North side-wallpaired diagonal stacks, single light and 2-light window with hoodmoulds to first floor, similar windows below with stepped dripcourse. To left 3 stepped stair lights with hoodmould. Rear of main front has gable with 3- light attic window and hood, 2 first floor 2-lights with continuous hood and ground floor door in moulded doorcase with single light to left and 2-light-to right, all with hoods. North end gabled has attached outbuilding with ground floor single light and hood to left of stone steps up to upper door flanked by small 4-light pointed vent loops. Above left vent loop, a late medieval 2-light small window with ogee heads to lights. West side has one ground floor 2-light ovolo-moulded window with hood. To left of gable-end a reset Tudor-arched doorcase with hood. Interior has chamfered and stopped beams, large north end elliptical arched chamfered stone fireplace and south end Tudor- arched moulded fireplace with moulded shelf. Dog-leg stair with flat balusters and acorn finial newel posts. South-west room has C17 plaster frieze of griffins flanking shields and plaster decoration to ceiling. Fine C17 stone fireplace with fluting in frieze and shield spandrels, but not the same fireplace with in frieze fluting and sheild spandels, but not same fireplace as illustrated in late C19 engraving by H.Hall, Archit. Assoc. SketchBook, 3rd set, Vol.7; (N.M.R.). Further Tudor-arched stone fireplaces upstairs. House belonged to the Webb family from c1633.

Listing NGR: ST8111369201


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 316858

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing