BOX PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022784

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: BOX PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOX PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 10:21:25.

Location

Statutory Address: BOX PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Box

National Grid Reference: ST 82591 68585

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8268 BOX HIGH STREET (north side)

3/157 Box Primary School and School House

II

Primary School, 1874-5 by J. Hicks of Redruth, extended 1894, small ashlar block banded in rock-faced rubble stone with Bridgwater tiled roofs and crested ridge tiles. Single storey long school range with 2-storey house at east end. Gothic style. Near symmetrical main front of 2 projecting wings with coped gables, crocketted near apex, flanking recessed centre with smaller, slightly projected central gable. Central gable has 3-light window in pointed frame, lights with ogee heads, wings have similar window flanked by ogee-headed single lights. Voussoirs alternate ashlar and rock-faced blocks. To left of centre gable C20 main door, to right, 2-light flat-headed window and pointed-arched doorway with Y-tracery overlight, inscribed 'Girls and Infants' on lintel. Left wing is extended to left with similar doorway inscribed 'Boys Entrance' at base of a thin ashlar clock tower rising to a gabled clock face with clasping square pinnacles and ashlar pyramid roof with 2 finials. Extension to left with 2-light flat-headed window and west gable. Taller gabled parallel wing behind. At right end, School House, with pointed arched door and window over to left of 2 storey canted bay with steep hipped roof carried through as cross wing to coped north gable.

Listing NGR: ST8259168585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317020

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing