POOL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022837

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: POOL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of POOL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022837 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:28:49.

Location

Statutory Address: POOL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Biddestone

National Grid Reference: ST 86377 73486

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDDESTONE THE GREEN ST 8673 (north side) 9/49 Pool Farmhouse and attached Outbuildings (Formerly listed as 20.12.60 Pool Farmhouse)

GV II

Farmhouse, mid to late C17, rubble stone with stone tiled roofs, moulded coping and ball finials to gables. 'L'-plan, 2-and-a-half storeys. Original range has large north gable with flush quoins and renewed ovolo-moulded stone-mullion windows with hoodmoulds, relieving arches to main floors. 2-light attic window, 3-light first floor window and 4-light ground floor window. One 2-light upper window on east side and projecting gabled stair tower with blocked arched doorway and oval light above to north front and on east side a 4-light mullion and transom window, the lower lights renewed, hoodmould over and single light in gable. Large stack corbelled out at first floor on west side and 2 renewed 2-light mullion windows. Rear range has large east end outside stack and small west end stack. North front has 2-window range of renewed mullion windows, 3-light and 2-light above, 2-light with hood and door in C20 Tudor arched surround below. 2-light window to left of chimney in east end wall. South front has 2 hipped dormers, 3 ovolo-moulded first floor windows and, to ground floor, from right, a 3-light with hoodmould, a 2-light with hoodmould, a single light, a 2-light and a 3-light window. Some original window surrounds, some renewed. Range of outbuildings running south, the first with half-hipped south gable and stack, door with hood on brackets and 3-light window to east side, then lower range with 4-bay open timber loggia, former stores and stable, and, at south end, a taller building with half-hipped gables, now garage. Interior largely renewed with stone fireplaces of late C17 type, Tudor arched with stopped mouldings to rear range and moulded rectangular surround to front range. Front range has blocked Tudor arched doorway between stair tower and front room. A fireback dated 1680 was found under east end fireplace. The house was much restored in 1938.

Listing NGR: ST8637273483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317139

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing