Chapel to the south-east of Sheldon Manor
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Chapel to the south-east of Sheldon Manor
List entry Number: 1022908
Chapel to SE of Sheldon Manor, Chippenham Lane, Sheldon
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Chippenham Without
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960
Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-2017
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
A private chapel, built in C15, restored in the late C20.
Reasons for Designation
The chapel to the south-east of Sheldon Manor, Chippenham Without, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Date: a C15 chapel which retains a significant proportion of late-medieval fabric;
* Architectural interest: this modestly-sized building makes good use of local materials and architectural detailing;
* Group value: it has strong group value with a number of designated historic assets, including Sheldon Manor (Grade I) and its designed landscape (registered; Grade II), and the remains of the medieval settlement of Sheldon (scheduled monument).
The first owner of Sheldon Manor was Sir William de Beauvilain, who lived there from circa 1180 to 1230. The Manor formed part of the medieval village of Sheldon which formerly lay to the west of the Manor. The Manor was owned by Sir Walter de Godarville from 1231 until 1250, when his daughter Joan de Godarville married Sir Geoffrey Gascelyn. Sheldon Manor remained in the ownership of the Gascelyn family until the early C15. The current house was first constructed in 1282, and has been altered and enlarged at various phases including the early C15, circa 1660, circa 1710 and 1911.
The detached chapel to the SE of the house is believed to date from c.1450, and was built for Sir Walter Hungerford who bought Sheldon Manor from the Gascelyn family in 1424. It was built as a private place of worship for the family and their servants. Later, it was used for many years to house livestock and this led to openings being made in the N elevation. It was restored for use as a chapel in 1979; some of the openings were altered and a new entrance was inserted in the W end.
A private chapel, built in the mid-C15, restored in the late C20.
MATERIALS: local-rubble stone with a stone-tiled roof.
PLAN: rectangular single-cell building, aligned W to E.
EXTERIOR: a gable-ended building topped by a pitched roof with a stone ridge and a cruciform finial over the E end. At the W end is a C20 moulded stone pointed arch around a timber door with strap hinges. Above is a single-light window. In the N wall a central door has been blocked and another more recent door has been replaced with a two-light window. This is also a small single-light window to the E side of the N wall. The E end contains a two-light window within pointed stone arch. The lights have cusped heads and a glazed quatrefoil above. In the S wall there is square opening with a two-light, cusped-headed window.
INTERIOR: in the W wall, above the door, is a C13 timber with dog-tooth style ornamentation. The E window has fragments of C15 glass which were inserted in the C20. There is a restored two-bay, collar-beam, wind-braced roof and a flagstone floor.
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1999), 468-9
Wiltshire Community History: Wiltshire Community History, accessed 30 September 2016 from https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=1066
MONUMENT NO. 525423: Pastscape
MWI66006 Sheldon Manor (Upper Sheldon) : Wiltshire and Swindon Historic Environment Record
National Grid Reference: ST8867974141
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022908 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 02:23:39.
End of official listing