This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CONVERTED BARN RANGE TO WEST OF SHELDON MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONVERTED BARN RANGE TO WEST OF SHELDON MANOR

List entry Number: 1022909

Location

CONVERTED BARN RANGE TO WEST OF SHELDON MANOR, SHELDON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Chippenham Without

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 317323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPENHAM WITHOUT SHELDON ST 87 SE 5/231 Converted barn range to west of Sheldon Manor (formerly listed as 2 cottages and 20.12.60 stables at Sheldon Manor)

GV II

Range of 2 barns and outbuildings, 1723, altered 1911 and north end rebuilt as cottage 1968. Rubble stone with stone-tiled roofs. South end barn, now tea-shop, with projecting west side half-hipped cart entry. Cart entry infilled and west side altered with various stable openings. Blocked east side plain cart entry and reused early C18 moulded doorcase with 9-panel door inserted from demolished house at Allington Bar. Second barn, stepped up has half-hipped west cart entry. converted to 2 cottages c1911, with ridge stacks, 3 window range, 2 storey house to right of cart entry, windows in cart entry, lean-to porch and dormer to left. Rear wall has 2 narrow lights and reused 9-panel door and 2-light mullion window with hood. North end, rebuilt 1968 by O. Brakspear, has 2 dormer gables each side, mullion windows with king-mullions and 2 segment-headed glazing bar windows to ground floor west side. Running east, enclosing north side of Sheldon Manor garden, single storey range of 4 open bays and enclosed stone section with reused early C19 Gothic panelled door. Hipped east gable. Stone section has west wall of thick masonry, part of a pre-C17 building. Added at west end a C20 hipped roof summerhouse, originally open to south, now glazed.

Listing NGR: ST8863674105

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

National Grid Reference: ST 88636 74105

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 05:42:56.

End of official listing