THE MANOR HOUSE AND 2 GARDEN GATEWAYS TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022940

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE AND 2 GARDEN GATEWAYS TO SOUTH, QUARRY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE AND 2 GARDEN GATEWAYS TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2018 at 11:21:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE AND 2 GARDEN GATEWAYS TO SOUTH, QUARRY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Colerne

National Grid Reference: ST 82128 71210

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLERNE QUARRY LANE ST 8271 (east side) 8/301 The Manor House and 2 garden gateways to south

GV II

House, dated 1689 but of earlier origins, heavily rebuilt 1900 by W. J. Wilcox of Bath. Rubble stone, part rough rendered with ashlar dressings and small ashlar block with black mortar joints to 1900 work. Stone tiled roofs with coped gables and elaborate 1900 circular shafted stacks, to end walls, front ridge and 2 on rear ridge, paired shafts, except east end single shaft and rear ridge row of 4 axial shafts. Two storey and attic, L-plan. South front, rough rendered with central straight joint; to left, door and ovolo-moulded cross window above, both 1900, to right later C20 doorway and ground floor 1900 ovolo-moulded cross window. East gable end has fine inset 2-storey C17 3-sided canted stone bay with 3-light windows to front, single-lights to side. 1900 3-light attic window. To right moulded string returned to north side with 4-light mullion window below, central king mullion. Oval light above. North return has blank 2-light ovolo-moulded window to ground floor. Rear wing, east front, has moulded eaves cornice, 1900 2-light window and single light to first floor and renewed 3 and 4-light windows below with section of string course between. C20 projecting summer-room with coped east gable. West front wholly of 1900, with 2-light mullion windows to upper floor and attic and two 4-light cross-windows flanking gabled porch. Within porch, reset 1689 plaque set up by E., A. and F. Hunt to commemorate coronation of William and Mary, and an inscription recording rebuilding for Mrs. A. Walmesley 1900. Flanking south front are 2 opposed late C17 or early C18 ashlar gateways with moulded architraves, broken pediments and ball finials.

Listing NGR: ST8212871210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317393

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing