This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1022974

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Nettleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 317476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETTLETON WEST KINGTON ST 87 NW 2/385 Church of St. Mary 20.12.60 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church, C13 and C15 West tower, otherwise rebuilt 1856 by S. B. Gabriel of Bristol. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs. Fine 3 stage tower with top stage similar to those at Yatton Keynell and Burton (Nettleton). South stair projection up to 2nd stage. 2-light Y-tracery west window to first stage, small single light cusped openings to second stage and ashlar C15 top stage with panelled sides, 3 panels each of 2 tiers of paired cusped panels, the upper centre pair a 2-light bell-opening with pierced stone screens. High panelled battlements and crocketted pinnacles. Body of church has nave and transepts of equal size, narrower chancel, south porch and north east vestry. Windows of Decorated type, generally 2-light with quatrefoil, some 3-light all with hoods. Buttresses at angles. South doorway is reused C13 with circular shafts, square abaci and imposts with interlace decoration and chamfered pointed arch. Interior broad, aisleless with wide scissor-braced rafter roofs. Tower arch has dogtooth ornament. Elaborate east window with Purbeck shafting and painted texts to chancel walls. Stained glass of c1856 by Bell of Bristol to east window, chancel north and south and to west window. Fine C15 Perpendicular style wood pulpit with ogee arches to panels. In south transept reset C16 wall monument with relief figures to A. P. (probably Anne Prator). Various tablets, mostly early C19 reset in tower. Bishop Hugh Latimer(c1490-1555) was rector from 1531.

Listing NGR: ST8128877569

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 81288 77569

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 01:00:18.

End of official listing