CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023152

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 06:19:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Marston Maisey

National Grid Reference: SU 12755 97197

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 19 NW MARSTON MEYSEY THE STREET (west side)

2/252 Church of St. James

GV II*

Anglican parish church, 1874-6 by James Brooks, replacing 2-cell church of 1648. Coursed limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave and chancel in 1 vessel and north vestry. Door in west end of south wall; pair of doors within splayed jambs set forward from wall face, and having 5 near-round chamfered arches and a hood mould. Lancet windows above a continuous string, also nearly round-headed with hoods. Similar but larger window at west end, triple lancets at east, with roundel vents over. Rose window with nail-head in west gable. Shallow buttresses define chancel. Arched opening in west gable apex contains bell. Vestry on north side with shouldered door under extension of roof. Tall chimney. Interior: Unplastered. Barrel boarded vault to nave. Chancel raised up 2 steps, the arch chamfered and with hood moulding, on corbels. Low screen wall faced with panels of encaustic tiles. Chancel of 2 bays, rectangular ribbed vault of stone on attached wall shafts. Capitals and ribs have nail-head decoration. Broad reveals to east window. Fittings: Octagonal font in coloured stones in south-west corner. Pulpit in banded limestone and sandstone pierced with quatrefoils and cantilevered from chancel screen. Piscina in arched recess in window jamb, the sill of which is lowered as simple sedilia. Brass sanctuary rail. Piscina in east window of vestry. Good glass of 1880-90 by Baguley of Newcastle on Tyne. Monuments: In nave, limestone wall memorial, C20 in form of low relief aedicule. A modest but carefully conceived and detailed design.

Listing NGR: SU1275597197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317901

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing