This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GORSE HILL BRIDGES SIGNAL BOX

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GORSE HILL BRIDGES SIGNAL BOX

List entry Number: 1023159

Location

GORSE HILL BRIDGES SIGNAL BOX, TADPOLE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Purton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 317922

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 18 NW 9/273

PURTON, TADPOLE LANE, Gorse Hill Bridges Signal Box

(Formerly listed under BLUNSDEN ROAD)

II

Signal box. c.1870 by Saxby and Farmer for the Great Western Railway Co (Broad Gauge). Timber framing and weatherboarding, originally zinc roof, now (June 1985) undergoing restoration. Original studding with grooved weatherboarding and original roofline. Temporary base, and original brick stack removed and boarded over as later GWR modification, as is external stair and 5-light sliding sashes. Interior has a Great Western 5-bar vertical frame and instrument shelf by Saxby and Farmer. Listed as an example of a signal box built for the new semaphore signalling system introduced c.1870 with modifications carried out by the Company up to 1913. Removed from Gorse Hill, Swindon, and re-erected on this site.

Listing NGR: SU1095389764

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU1095389764

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 10:53:42.

End of official listing