MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023170

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:31:51.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Purton

National Grid Reference: SU 09631 87195

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 08 NE PURTON CHURCH END

8/299 Manor House (formerly listed as Manor House 17.1.58 together with Tithe Barn and Pigeon House)

GV II

Manor House, late C16 and 1682. Altered c.1900. Limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Stone slate roofs. Two storeys and attics. Five-bays. Central cross passage to lateral hall on right, stair at upper end, rear. Wings developed on bays 1 and 5 to rear. Central 2 storey porch with round torus moulded arch. Inner door C19. Heavy string course and eaves corbel table. Flat roof and low parapet. Four-light ovolo moulded windows to main block under continuous string course to ground floor, label mouldings to upper floors. Central and end bays raised as gables with coped apex and 3-light mullioned windows. Large external stacks at ends with 4 brick diagonal shafts to left end, 3 to right and 4 other brick stacks, all lowered c.1900. Stair protrudes as tower to rear and C19-C20 extensions. End gable porch on right with date 1682 and Sun Insurance mark, No 425563. Interior: altered c.1900 and recently modernised. The property originally belonged to Malmesbury Abbey until the Dissolution, then passed through Bennet and Jay families until rebuilt by Lord Chandos in late C16. An imposing building in a picturesque setting. (Elyard S.J. Some Old Wiltshire Homes, 1894).

Listing NGR: SU0963187195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317947

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Elyard, SJ , Some Old Wiltshire Homes, (1894)

End of official listing