PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023199

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH, MALMESBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 02:48:20.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH, MALMESBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Easton Grey

National Grid Reference: ST 88084 87642

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTON GREY MALMESBURY ROAD ST 88 NE (south side) 3/20 Parish Church 28.10.59 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15 west tower, remainder 1836 with late C19 refenestration. Coursed rubble with roughcast to tower, squared dressed stone to nave and chancel; ashlar buttresses and copings, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Three stage tower with string courses, a south-east corner canted stair turret and embattled parapet. West facade has one 2- light Perpendicular window under pointed head to first stage, a single opening to second stage and 2-light trefoil-headed bell opening with slate louvres. Similar bell openings on north and east faces, single opening on south face. Nave has 2 Perpendicular style C19 two-cusped-light windows with hoodmoulds to south and 3 similar windows to the north. Similar east window of 3 lights. Tudor-arched south door with hoodmould to chancel. Gabled south porch dated 1836 with pointed-arched entrance and 2-leaf wooden Gothic gates. Interior. Single chamfer pointed arch to tower. 1836 coved and ribbed Gothick vault to nave and chancel. Fittings. C13 font at tower arch: cylindrical pillar with moulded bowl. 1836 box pews to nave. Royal Coat of Arms: GR/1818, above south door. Two decalogue boards on south wall, Creed and Paternoster boards on north wall. Late C17 wall monument to Thomas Hodges on nave north wall. Restored Jacobean pulpit with tester. Early C19 Gothic organ. Chancel has 3 fine, if rustic, wall monuments (late C17- early C18). South porch has an I.C.B.S. board of 1836 recording repewing and a benefaction board. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8808487642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318017

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing