This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NORTON MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTON MANOR

List entry Number: 1023215

Location

NORTON MANOR, SHERSTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Norton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318054

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON SHERSTON ROAD ST 88 SE (north side) 5/57 Norton Manor 12.12.51 GV II*

Manor House. Early C17 with 1623 south addition (dated on porch), 1850s re-ordering, 1901 extensions by F.A. Lawson of Stroud and further addition in 1925. Coursed rubble with flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, ashlar to south porch, window surrounds, stacks and copings; hipped and gabled stone slate roofs. T-shaped plan with early C17 range to the north and 1623 addition to the south; 1901 linking section to the east and 1925 west porch. 1623 block has south front of 2 storeys, 5 bays. Window openings regularized in the C19: 3 and 4-light ovolo mullions with small pane glazing, hoodmoulds and flush strainer arches. Central 2- storey gabled porch with Roman Doric columns to ground floor and Ionic above, both with heavily moulded cornices. Three-light ovolo-moulded mullion to parvise, ball finial to gable apex. Round-arched entrance with keystone and Tudor-arched inner doorway with plank door. Tall stacks rebuilt in 1901 with egg-and-dart cornices. Similar porch to west front dated 1925 but with balcony now glazed. Early C17 range to north with 2 attenuated gables and 1901 ovolo mullion fenestration. East entrance front of 1901 (dated around doorway). Interior. Staircase of the 1850s in Jacobean style inserted by Lord Holland: early C17 panelling in Drawing Room inserted in 1901-9 by Captain C.H. Fenwick; fine marble chimneypiece in second Dining Room with detached columns and lotus capitals. (June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST8848984397

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 88489 84397

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023215 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2018 at 10:16:26.

End of official listing