Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023219.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:04:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 89698 85953


NORTON THE STREET, Foxley ST 88 NE (north side) 3/67 Parish Church 28.10.59 GV I

Anglican parish church. Probable Saxo-Norman origin with C13, C15, c1708 additions and alterations and late C19 restoration. Coursed rubble with some herringbone masonry to chancel, squared and coursed rubble to nave and tower. Ashlar to south porch facade, buttresses, quoins and window surrounds. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle extended to form a transept and south porch. South elevation of nave and chancel has 3 Perpendicular windows of 2 and 3-cusped-lights under flat heads, that to chancel C19, and 1 single-cusped-light window. North side of chancel has a 3-light C15 window set within a Tudor-arched recess which may denote a demolished Early English tomb recess. Nave north side has a 3-light mullioned window under flat head. Aisle-transept has 2 gable ends and 2 and 3-light C15 windows under flat heads with hoodmoulds and large lozenge labels. C15 tower restored c1708 of 2 stages with low, diagonal buttresses to west corners, 2 round- headed lights to bell openings and oversized crocketed corner pinnacles. Doorway under flat head to west face with hoodmould and plank door, single 2-light window to north face, clock to south. Circa 1708 south porch with rusticated quoins, cambered entrance arch with bracketed keystone and pediment with urn at apex. South door has heavy bolection moulding and 2-leaf plank doors; stone seats either side. Interior. Nave has C13 north arcade to aisle-transept (2 bays with further, west, bay demolished): clustered shafts, trumpet and stiff-leaf capitals and pointed arches with 2 orders of roll moulding. C15 tie and collar-beam roof with arched braces to collars and single tier of windbraces. C15 open rafter roofs to chancel and north transept. Chancel has nodding ogee-headed niche to north wall cut off by insertion of C15 wall and window. Fittings. Nave has C13 font: circular pillar with ring shaft and circular bowl, early C18 pulpit, 5 prayer boards on west wall and early C20 roodscreen and pews. Chancel has C18 communion rail and contemporary panelling to side walls and reredos. North transept has fine 1722 monument to George Ayliffe by Stanton and Horsenail: marble in Baroque style with barley sugar columns, flaming urns and frothy inscription cartouche. Fine stained glass Luce memorial window of 1901 to nave south wall, 1865 and 1866 windows to chancel and later C19 window to transept. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST8970285960


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01393/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kirsty Denley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].