This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1023223

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Sherston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318075

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8486-8586 7/78 SHERSTON CHURCH STREET (west side) Church of the Holy Cross

28.10.59

GV I Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 (north arcade), early C13 (crossing and north transept), late C13 (chancel), C15, 1730 tower by Thomas Sumsion of Colerne, 1876-7 restoration by T.H. Wyatt and further C19 restoration by Ewan Christian. Coursed rubble to nave and chancel, squared and coursed dressed stone to south aisle and porch, ashlar to tower, battlements and copings, stone slates to roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, crossing tower, north aisle and north transept. Nave south side has a 2-cusped- light C15 window under flat head with hoodmould. Nave and north aisle west windows under gables are C15 of 4-lights with pointed heads and panelled tracery. North aisle has a 3-light C15 window, paired C13 lancets and a trefoil-headed C13 doorway. South aisle has three 4-light C15 windows under flat heads with hoodmoulds, moulded string courses, buttresses with set-offs and an embattled parapet. Chancel has restored 3-light C13 east window with cusped heads and attached shafts. Two-stage crossing tower in a fusion of Gothic and classical forms. South-east corner polygonal stair turret, classical rusticated pilasters to remaining corners; moulded string courses and pierced panelled embattled parapet with openwork crocketed corner pinnacles. First stage has trefoil- headed blank panelling but to south face a round-headed classical niche with Gothic crocket above and medieval face below. Two- light bell openings with curious 'M' tracery and perforated blocks. Clock to south face below bell openings. North transept has a 3- light lancet window with dragon heads to hoodmould and re-used C12 corbel table. C15 south porch with diagonal buttresses and panelled embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Pointed- headed, multi-chamfered archway with sundial above and 2-light window to parvise. Fragment of medieval sculpture to right, reputedly of Saxon hero Rattlebone but probably of cleric. Two- leaf wooden Gothick gates. Lierne vault inside, 2 benches and multi-chamfered architrave to south doorway: C19 plank door with panelling. 1876 ICBS restoration board on east wall, benefaction board on west wall. Interior. Four-bay nave arcade with circular piers, round-headed arches and zig-zag decoration. Crossing tower has C13 demi-shafts with face corbels and large heavy chamfered pointed arches dating from the 1730 rebuilding. Open rafter roofs to nave, north aisle and north transept, flat panelled roof to south aisle, crossing and C19 barrel vault to chancel. Nave has C15 tomb recess on north wall, former rood stair opening on north side of crossing arch and walk-through squint also to north side of crossing. Piscina on east wall of north transept and C14 tomb recess with mutilated figure on north wall. Fittings. Nave has restored C13 font with shafted base and octagonal bowl, Jacobean vestment chest and pulpit, 3 wall monuments and an 1883 stained glass west Window. Chancel has 2 wall monuments to the Hodges family (1676, restored 1861) and the Estcourt-Cresswells of 1788. Late C19 stained glass east window. South aisle has fine 1715 monument to Joyce Hitchings: praying woman in shell-hooded niche on south wall. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; H.M. Colvin, 'Gothic Survival and Gothick Revival' in Architectural Review, 1948)

Listing NGR: ST8539386032

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, (1948)

National Grid Reference: ST 85392 86028

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 05:25:42.

End of official listing