CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023286

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 23:57:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blunsdon St. Andrew

National Grid Reference: SU 15295 90753

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5410 BLUNSDON ST ANDREW HIGH STREET Broad Blunsdon Church of St Leonard SU 1590 21/74 26.1.55

II*

2. Four bay nave and south aisle. Two bay chancel. C15 west tower. Present structure probably C13 in origin but had extensive restoration by Butterfield 1870. Built of rubble with stone slate roof. Dividing buttresses to nave. Gabled ashlar porch to left with pointed doorway; a similar doorway with rounded label ends on north side of nave. A variety of windows, mostly restored; one pretty circa 1300 small geometrical tracery window to right on south side. Chancel has south aisle and gabled vestry to north. Four stage tower rendered on moulded plinth. Parapet of pierced quatrefoils probably circa 1870. Diagonal buttresses. Corbel heads to cornice, blind tracery to belfry window heads. Contemporary 4 centre arched doorway with ancient bar and carved spandrels. Interior: low cylindrical piers with round abaci to double chamfered circa 1300 arcade. Roofs: 2 versions of truss rafter former waggon roofs. C17 panelled 3-bay screen to tower with balustraded parapet and top cartouche. Under the tower is the John Potenger memorial (died 1733) by Peter Scheemakers, marble with cherubs.

Listing NGR: SU1529590753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318230

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing