This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1023312



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Chiseldon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318290

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 1879 29/155

CHISELDON CHURCH STREET (north side) Church of the Holy Cross 26.1.55

GV I Fairly large parish church with tower-porch sited on south wall of south aisle. Mostly Perpendicular style with an arcade. Chancel arch and east window of circa 1200 and some Anglo-Saxon fragments. Built of rubble with lead and tile roofs. Three stage tower with porch below, belfry stage set back, first 2 stages with angle buttresses. Coved cornices with corner gargoyles and carved faces. C19 ashlar crenellation. Two light square headed window with moulded head and drip on middle stage. Two light foiled window with foiled upper light to belfry. Four bay aisled and clerestoried nave. Three light foiled and moulded head windows. Three bay chancel has arched 2 light and diamond head window (cusped) and a square headed window to south-east of 2 cusped lights with 4 quatrefoils above. Central priest's door. Three light stepped east window with below a carved rood in trefoiled niche within a blind oculus. Interior: arcade capitals vary between trumpet to stiff-leaf. Ceiling has 4 centred arch headed and moulded ties braced from corbels, cusping in the gaps, moulded purlins and rafters. large late medieval tomb chest in sanctuary. Numerous wall memorials to the Calley family. Stone memorial (1707) to Edward Hellish with bas relief of him and his family on corbel of winged death's head. Large brass in sanctuary. Three fragments of carved medieval stone in east wall of south aisle and, below, a small fragment of a shaft with foliate cap. C18 tables of law painted on wood in south aisle- and C15 traceried bench end below that. Painted screen with 6 saints and a rood panel now at back of north aisle, late C19. Well stocked graveyard with single and double headstones and some footstones, especially to south and north, mostly C18. A number of chest tombs, the best perhaps being that to Elizabeth, wife of William Fridge (sic) died 1774, 13 yds south of south-east aisle window.

Listing NGR: SU1871379971

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 18716 79961, SU 18720 79949


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023312 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 09:21:50.

End of official listing