CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023330

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:45:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hannington

National Grid Reference: SU 18166 92794

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

5/211 HANNINGTON HANNINGTON Church of St John the Baptist

Part 2 second line should be amended to read "by Slater and Carpenter 1868-71..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 5410 HANNINGTON HANNINGTON Church of St John the Baptist SU 19 SE 5/211 26.1.55

II*

2. Small late C12 and early C13-type aisless country parish church largely rebuilt by Slater and Carpenter 1968-71 reusing several old parts and C15 west tower. Rubble with ashlar dressings and stone tile roof. Four and a half bay nave with low buttresses and small lancet windows except for square headed east window on east side. Norman south doorway of late type with one order of chevron clasping roll and label of saltire crosses, billet impost and headstone corbel over; projecting gabled porch. Reset north doorway - round headed but early C15 mouldings. Two bay square ended chancel with perpendicular square-headed 2-light tracery windows and a blocked priest's door. Perpendicular east window with vestry to north which has tall chimney. Two stage embattled west tower on moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, corner gargoyles; C15 west door with drip and rosettes in spandrels. Interior: C19 seating. Several Freke monuments. Rood stair at north-east corner of nave. Reredos has scenes painted on tin in tracery panels. Stone effigy, probably C14, of a woman with mitred heads flanking hers. In the tower a large wall monument to Thomas Pile (1754) 3 black Corinthian columns carry fragments of a segmental pediment and in the middle an urn. Cherubs heads in panels between.

Listing NGR: SU1816692794

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318336

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing