This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE KING AND QUEEN INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KING AND QUEEN INN

List entry Number: 1023354

Location

THE KING AND QUEEN INN, 14 AND 15, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Highworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318395

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5410 HIGHWORTH HIGH STREET (south side) Nos 14 and 15 SU 2092 SW 18/276 26.1.55 (The King and Queen Inn)

II GV

2. C18 remodelling of mid C17 houses. Six bay house, possibly always an inn. Two and a half storeys stucco fronted with band over ground floor. Stone slate roof with large central brick stack and gable end chimney to left. Three gabled dormers. Flush moulded frames to glazing bar sash windows. Wooden dentil eaves cornice carried around to the 2 hipped roofed 2 storey bays, left hand bay a tower porte-cochere with moulded caps to posts and a 5 light window over; large ledged doors. Right hand bay and the 3 ground floor bay windows have reeded pilasters. into doors. In through passage of No 16 can be seen the west gable wall with close studded circa 1600 ground floor treatment with 2 low arched doors; slightly later timber framed and rendered extension to south-west. To rear: 2 gabled extensions and 2 half-hipped gables, one with stone sundial (hours marked, said to be marked "W.L.1677"). Pump. Modern tile roofing to rear.

Listing NGR: SU2013192440

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 20141 92446

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 12:15:22.

End of official listing