Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023403.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:58:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Swindon (Unitary Authority)
South Marston
National Grid Reference:
SU 19534 87991


SU 18 NE 8/411

SOUTH MARSTON Church of St Mary Magdalen


I Small medieval parish church with west tower. Built of rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Stone tile roof. Crenellated parapet to nave. Four bay aisleless nave, mostly in Perpendicular style with flat headed 2-light windows; contemporary south porch retaining one pinnacle above a diagonal buttress and sundial over entrance. North and south doors plain C12 retained from earlier church. C13 2 bay chancel with stepped lancet east window. Two stage crenellated C15 tower with corbelled diagonal pinnacles (probably a C19 addition), south stair turret and diagonal buttresses to west. West door in Perpendicular style with large 3 light west window over. Above is a niche with C19 or modern statue of Christ. Unusual sanctus turret of octagonal shape with ogee decoration to openings and with weathervane. This with the south chapel (forming gabled transept) and crenellations are by John Belcher 1886. Vestry to north-east. Interior: chancel lancets have unusual rere-splays. Reredos and chancel arch with nodding ogee canopies date from 1886 restoration. Memorials: lies Charity luke (died 1719), in south chapel; Thomas Freke 1721; Anthony Southby 1759; Anne Southby (died 1770) small urn on angel corbel. Well stocked graveyard to south with head stones (some double) and table tombs - mostly C18 and C19.

Listing NGR: SU1953687991


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13488/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].