THE OLD MILL AND ATTACHED STABLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023446

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD MILL AND ATTACHED STABLE, PERRY'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MILL AND ATTACHED STABLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 04:43:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD MILL AND ATTACHED STABLE, PERRY'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wroughton

National Grid Reference: SU 14483 80849

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 1480 23/557 PERRY'S LANE Mill House and attached stable

shall be separated into two entries with amended descriptions to read

SU 1480 PERRY'S LANE The Old Mill 23/557 and attached stable

II GV

Former mill house, now house, attached to Mill House (qv) dated J S (possibly John Seymour) 1771. Red brick Flemish bond, back wall has flared headers as diaper pattern, concrete roof tiles. Large two storeys and attic, irregular 3- window front; ground floor left has circular opening over position of tail-race, then small opening with plank door for overflow. To right two 3-light casements. At first floor one 2-light and two 3 light casements; 2 hipped 2-light dormers. Return left has one 2-light casement and a blocked opening. All these to stone splayed lintels over-running the openings. Off centre right plank door under cantilevered gabled hood; 3 stone steps approach. Back has three 2-light casements with lintels as front, at first floor level; ground floor has two modified open- ings and formerly arched entry for overshot wheel. Gable brick stacks; half-hip to left. Interior has 5 bay heavy Queen posts off main floor beams, and principals tied back to posts from plate level c lm above upper floor. 4 heavy transverse floor beams at each level. One pulley wheel at ridge. In wall adjoining Mill House a date stone I.L (possibly John Little) 1685: this probably refers to the adjoining property. In a ground floor fireplace a fireback in cast iron dated 1588 (?), with two naive trees, and two anchors with rope coits, in 3 panels surrounded by and separated by cable mould: this said to have been brought from elsewhere. To left is brick and tile stable block with loft opening over 9 pane casement and door; connected to main building by one-storey link. Some chalk block within. At back of mill remains of stone wall to leat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 5410 WROUGHTON PERRY'S LANE Mill House and attached stable SU 1480 23/557

II

2. Once called Kings Mill. Main part dated "J.S.1771". Red brick 2 1/2 storeys. Tiled roof, gable end chimneys. Three ranges of windows with ashlar lintels; the 2 right hand ranges have 3 light casements; to left on first floor a 2-light window and on ground floor a porthole replacing mill-wheel arch. Door off-centre right, excess water door left of centre. Two hipped dormers. Interior, converted. Corn bins and pulley for chute system in attic. Adjacent to left is a stable block. To right is a mid C19 2 storey 3 bay tiled wing: casement windows, outer 3 light; cogged eaves cornice, central door with gabled porch.

Listing NGR: SU1447080841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318637

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing