Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023453

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: MILL HOUSE, PERRY'S LANE


Ordnance survey map of MILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023453 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 18:27:21.


Statutory Address: MILL HOUSE, PERRY'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wroughton

National Grid Reference: SU 14470 80841


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WROUGHTON SU 14B0 PERRY'S LANE Mill House 23/1557


House, attached to The Old Mill (qv), possibly built originally as adjunct to older mill. Datestone IL (possibly John Little) 1685 on brick gable wall now inside adjoining premises. Red brick in Flemish bond, but rubble to back wall, and some chalk block to inner face; plain tile roof. Plain symmetrical front block with wing to back right of late C19 date, not of special interest. Two storeys and attic, 3 windows, 3 light casements to low elliptical arches at ground floor and straight brick arches at first floor; window above door is 2-light. All have small flush ashlar keystone. Central 6-panel door, upper two panels glazed in C19 gabled porch on posts and with decorative barge boards. Back has two 3-light raking dormers. Original rear door, a heavy 6 panel fielded one now within build- ing, but opposite front entry. Brick gable stack to right. Interior has some panelled shutters and good DE panelled doors at ground floor. C19 clank and batten doors to first floor. Roof is A-frame with two butbpurlins, could be of late C17 date corresponding with date-stone: members are rough, and limewashed, suggesting that this might have been ancillary to the main mill building. Ground floor has chamfered beams to run-out stops. Externally the building looks like a late C18 or early C19 structure, but it may be a substantial cladding or re- build of an earlier one.

Listing NGR: SU1447080841


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318652

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing