This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List entry Number: 1023482

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CRICKLADE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318718

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRICKLADE ROAD, SU 18 NE SWINDON Gorse Hill 2/59 Church of St. Barnabas 17.2.70 II

Anglican parish church. 1885, by J.P. Seddon. Rock-faced snecked Swindon stone with limestone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Lead covered stair tower and sanctus bellcote. Nave and aisles, short chancel with side chambers. South-west porch under lower 2 storeys of incompleted tower. Opposite north-west porch. Paired lancets between ashlar dressed pilasters, and lancets of clerestory continued as blind arcade along chancel. East triple lancets to chancel under continuous hood. Porch with early English style doorway. 4 lancets to west end. Interior: arcade of 5 bays, with further bay into chancel and half- bay at west. Moulded arches on quatrefoil columns. Clerestory of alternating columns and clusters on wall string supporting coved hammerbeam boarded vault. Chancel with canvas-based wall paintings of 1946-8 by Rev. John Perret. Trefoiled sedilia piscina and priest's door. Octagonal limestone pulpit with arcade on grey stone columns. Font at west end of nave; dog-toothed bowl with surrounding trefoiled arcade. Aisles have west end lancets with glass by Morris & Co. c1918.

Listing NGR: SU1551585971

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 15515 85971

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 07:21:53.

End of official listing