This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Former model lodging house for the Great Western Railway

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Former model lodging house for the Great Western Railway

List entry Number: 1023496


Former model lodging house for the Great Western Railway, Emlyn Square, Swindon

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318750

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/08/2014

SU 1484 NE 6/88

EMLYN SQUARE (east side), SWINDON, Former model lodging house for the Great Western Railway

(Formerly listed as Great Western Railway Museum.

Previously listed as the Railway Museum in Faringdon Road)



Former model lodging house, 1849-1852 for GWR, converted to family hostel 1861, to Weslyan Chapel 1869-1959, and to Great Western Railway Museum 1962-2000. Since 2010 it has been a children's' activity centre. Ashlar limestone in black mortar, asbestos cement roof slates. 3 storey with 4 storey end bays, 9 bays to Emlyn Square, a central entrance under pitched and gabled porch added 1869. Buttresses to end towers, corbel table and parapet with stacks to roof. Ground floor trefoil-headed paired lights with transom, shouldered to first floor and second floor, latter in raised gables. Triple lights to end bays. Elevation to Faringdon Road similar, but added large central gable with lancets and gable lights between added square stair towers, returning by broaches to octagonal louvred turrets above second floor. Octagonal pyramid spire lets. Ground floor this elevation with C20 glazing and glazed porch brought out between towers. Interior altered to form chapel. 2 storey keeled cast iron columns supporting moulded panelled ceiling. West side 2 storey with gallery at first floor (Notes on the History of the Barracks, 1869, Ms in Swindon Reference Library).

Listing NGR: SU1463584763

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudson, K, Transport History
Large, F , Swindon Retrospect 1855-1930, (1931)
Peck, A , The Great Western at Swindon Works, (1983)
Silto, J , A Swindon History 1840-1901

National Grid Reference: SU 14648 84764


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2018 at 02:24:53.

End of official listing