This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS LOCOMOTIVE WORKS MANAGER'S OFFICE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS LOCOMOTIVE WORKS MANAGER'S OFFICE

List entry Number: 1023519

Location

BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS, RODBOURNE ROAD
LOCOMOTIVE WORKS MANAGER'S OFFICE, RODBOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318806

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWINDON RODBOURNE ROAD SU 1484 NW British Rail Engineering Ltd Swindon Works Locomotive Works Manager's Office 5/144 18.5.84 GV II

Works Manager's Office, now private offices. 1841, extended 1855-6 and later alterations. Squared rubble with brick and ashlar dressings, slate roofs. 2 storeys, the south block which is 6 x 2 bays, is the oldest part, the south front having been rendered. Behind is a 10 window wing in different coloured stone dating from a later period, except for part of the east wall. All the windows date from the later period and are sashes with glazing bars in cambered brick heads. The 2 blocks have separate hipped roofs with tall brick chimneys. The original part was already the manager's office in 1846 and was presumably designed, built and used by Sir Daniel Gooch. The building was used by Sturrock, Rea, Armstrong, Dean, Churchward etc. when works managers. Of interest as part of the original GWR works designed by Brunel and Gooch and opened in 1843, and extended in 1855-6. It was then altered and extended in the great expansion of the 1870's. One of an important group of Victorian industrial buildings at the GWR works.

Listing NGR: SU1427784962

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudson, K, Transport History
Large, F , Swindon Retrospect 1855-1930, (1931)
Peck, A , The Great Western at Swindon Works, (1983)
Silto, J , A Swindon History 1840-1901

National Grid Reference: SU 14277 84962

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 05:06:04.

End of official listing