This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS NO 13 SHOP (OLD L2 SHOP)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS NO 13 SHOP (OLD L2 SHOP)

List entry Number: 1023520

Location

BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS, RODBOURNE ROAD
NO 13 SHOP (OLD L2 SHOP), RODBOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318810

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RODBOURNE ROAD SU 1484 SWINDON BREL: Swindon Works 5/148 No 13 Shop (Old L2 Shop) 18.5.84 GV II*

Locomotive tender or tank shop, now machine shop. 1876. Iron framed building with red brick exterior walls, now partly amalgamated with other later buildings. The visible exteriors are long low frontages with arcaded treatment. Interior: 8 rows, each of 9 cast iron columns supporting a wrought iron and glazed roof construction. Columns are of 2 tiers, the lower heavier ones carrying crane gantry beams and some with brackets for line shafting, but upper columns are very short. One original 15-ton crane with timber beams and iron frontage. Four 10-ton cranes of iron construction, refurbished in steel. All were electrified in early C20 and 4 have their original motors. A number of original fitted cranes with swinging arms. Part of the large scale expansion of the Great Western works in the 1870's and a good example of a factory building of the period. One of an important group of Victorian industrial buildings at the GWR works.

Listing NGR: SU1403084977

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudson, K, Transport History
Large, F , Swindon Retrospect 1855-1930, (1931)
Peck, A , The Great Western at Swindon Works, (1983)
Silto, J , A Swindon History 1840-1901

National Grid Reference: SU 14030 84977

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 09:42:30.

End of official listing