This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS NO 19 SHOP, AND NO 20 SHOP (NORTH BAY) OLD N SHOP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS NO 19 SHOP, AND NO 20 SHOP (NORTH BAY) OLD N SHOP

List entry Number: 1023522

Location

BRITISH RAIL ENGINEERING LIMITED SWINDON WORKS, RODBOURNE ROAD
NO 19 SHOP, AND NO 20 SHOP (NORTH BAY) OLD N SHOP, RODBOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Swindon

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318816

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RODBOURNE ROAD SU 1484 NW SWINDON BREL: Swindon Works 5/154 No 19 Shop, and No 20 Shop (north bay) Old N Shop 18.5.84 GV II

Smiths turning shop, now machine shop, c1842, by D Gooch and I K Brunel. Coursed squared rubble from Box tunnel, corrugated sheet roof. The west facade is of two storeys and bays separated by pilasters, and with horizontal wooden boarding between the windows. The windows mostly have their original glazing mullions and transom below. 2-light with mullions above, each divided into vertical panes and opening with central pivot. Internally, the space is now full height, but evidence of the first floor remains in a partition. The north end of the block has the original wooden roof trusses. The remainder has later steel replacements. Apparently the best preserved of the original buildings opened 2nd January 1843. One of an important group of Victorian industrial buildings at the GWR works.

Listing NGR: SU1429084905

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudson, K, Transport History
Large, F , Swindon Retrospect 1855-1930, (1931)
Peck, A , The Great Western at Swindon Works, (1983)
Silto, J , A Swindon History 1840-1901

National Grid Reference: SU 14290 84905

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023522 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 02:06:20.

End of official listing