CORN EXCHANGE AND TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023523

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CORN EXCHANGE AND TOWN HALL, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CORN EXCHANGE AND TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 15:49:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CORN EXCHANGE AND TOWN HALL, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 15815 83629

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE SQUARE SU 1583 NE SWINDON 8/157 Corn Exchange and Town Hall (formerly listed as the Locarno 2.10 51 Ballroom and Clock Tower and Premises occupied by Brown & Plummer Ltd - II

Market hall and town hall. Built 1852-54 by Sampson Sage and E Robertson of Swindon, extended as corn exchange 1866 by Wilson and Willcox of Bath now bingo hall and shops. Ashlar stone. Roof not visible. Corn exchange 2-storey, 5 bays divided by giant Tuscan pilasters. Rusticated ground floor with arched openings between pilasters, originally open, now with C20 shop windows. Lugged architraves to first floor casement windows, and moulded panel over Entablature and pediment over 3 central bays enclosing roundel. Balustrade square lantern with cornice and arch with bell. Extensions of 1866 provide corn exchange to rear on triangular site, and tower to left of town hall facade. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings. Tower of 4 stages, ground floor Ionic columns in antis. Architraves to first and second floor windows. Top level in form of open Venetian windows and corner Corinthian pilasters above clock chamber. Cornice and balustrade, and square dome with iron openwork crestings. Corn exchange to rear has arcaded elevation, 1 storey with roof balustrade. Interior not of special interest. Plans held in British Architectural Library.

Listing NGR: SU1581983629

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318819

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing