Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023544

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1972



Ordnance survey map of COUNCIL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 07:46:53.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14736 30355


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 1430 SE 2/236

BOURNE HILL Council House (Formerly Wyndham House)


II* (On site of St Edmund's College). The site and remains of St Edmund's College founded by Bishop de la Wyle, was bought by the Wyndham family in 1660 and the south front of the present house, rebuilt about 1670, with alterations in early C18 and in 1788. South front of 2 storeys. Red brick on stone plinth with projecting band at ground floor cill level. Bracketed stone cornice and blocking course, and brick parapet over with stone piers between bays, stone coping crowned with stone balls over the piers. A long front of 7 bays with narrow flanking wings each of 1 bay. 7 windows on lst floor and 6 on ground floor, all with rusticated stone architrave surrounds with voussoir heads and moulded cills on curved brackets. The side wings are full height each with a 3-centred arched lst floor window and oval panel above, with a rectangular ground floor window. The inner faces of the wings have circular niches with moulded stone surrounds and carved scroll brackets supporting base at foot. Central 6 Panel double door (C18) with radiating fanlight in rusticated bonded stone arch, under a late C18 well proportioned stone Doric porch with blocks of triple (engaged) columns supporting entablature with triglyph frieze and pediment. The 1788 east front Cl8 has 2 3-storey angular bays, full height, flanking central part with 2 windows on lst floor and very large 3-light window on ground floor recessed in 4-centred arch. The lights have architrave surrounds and are divided by panelled pilasters and flat carved brackets (Acanthus ornament) supporting fluted frieze and cornice broken forward over bracket. Panel over with delicate urn ornament, no glazing bars. Additional end bays of 2 windows. The west front has a large sham Gothic window C18/C19. The north elevation is stuccoed with parapet and string below that is possibly C16. There is a stone mullioned and transomed window on this front. The interior has had alterations but retains 2 C16 plaster ceilings. The entrance hall is in the position of a medieval hall and has fluted Doric pilasters. Council room with screen of Ionic columns. Staircase with single iron balusters and continuous moulded handrail.

Listing NGR: SU1473630355


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318865

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing