This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PUBLIC LIBRARY YOUNG GALLERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PUBLIC LIBRARY YOUNG GALLERY

List entry Number: 1023580

Location

PUBLIC LIBRARY, CHIPPER LANE
YOUNG GALLERY, CHIPPER LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Salisbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318952

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPER LANE 1. 1594 (North Side) Public Library & Young Gallery SU 1430 SW 1/434 II 2. Library 1904 by A C Bothams, the adjoining Young Gallery by Mr Blount 1910-13. The Library is free Cotswold Tudor-Jacobean. 3 storeys, ashlar. Centre recessed between 2 slightly projecting gabled bays, that to right wider. Moulded copings to gables. Crenellated parapet between with 4 centred cusped arched openings. Quatrefoil panelling in stone band below. Strings across 2nd floor windows and stepped up over ground floor ones. Large stone mullioned, transomed window on ground floor with 4 centred arches to lights. Art Nouveau leaded panes. Entrance has 4 centred arch with carved spandrels, 3 lights over with drip mould stepped up over all. The gallery to left has string carried over from Library, moulded coping to parapet. Ashlar front slightly lower than Library, flanked by slender half octagon turrets rising above parapet, with minature crenella- tion to caps. Below parapet (approximately at 2nd floor level) a large stone panel, contained by the turrets. Good freely carved relief of roses. In middle of wall a full width 6 light stone mullioned and transomed window, the upper lights blind. Panel below window, resting on plinth, with dedicatory inscription. Above the window runs a shallow coved cornice decorated with rosettes and fleur de lys, miniature crenellation. Picturesque group.

Listing NGR: SU1443130162

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 14431 30162

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023580 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 05:51:59.

End of official listing