20, The Close

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023596

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: 20, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 20, The Close
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023596 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 05:09:02.

Location

Statutory Address: 20, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14391 29664

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 1429 NW 3/41

THE CLOSE No 20

28.2.52.

GV II* 1718 refronting of medieval building. 2 storey and attic. Brick on stone plinth and with stone quoins and 1st floor string. Moulded wood eaves cornice, gutter with lion head ornament and hipped old tile roof. All windows have stone surrounds, 3 dormers, small sashes, with cornice. 5 windows 1st floor, 4 windows ground floor and 1840 stone porch in centre, with round headed side lights. Banded piers, ebtaluature, 4 panel porch door with semi-circular fanlight. Inner glazed and panelled door, semi-circular fanlight with looped concentric glazing. Small 6 panel door with arched radiating and wreathed fanlight in later early C19. 1 storey extension to left. 2 storey extension to right with one window. Long rear wing 2 storey timber frame partly with oversailing tile hung 1st floor with shaped tiles. Gable end old tile roof. The west front of wing has medieval stonework flint rubble and tiles inset. Irregular C18 and later windows, A large 4 centred chamfered stone archway in present kitchen in this wing former carriageway on this part of house was the stables of No 21 The Close qv, On west side a 2 storey red brick circa 1840 extension with 2 recessed sash windows and hipped slate roof. Interior of 1718 block has good mid to later C18 staircase with open string, turned balusters and moulded handrail swept up to newels. The roof structure of early wing concealed but apparently has trusses with collar.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1439129664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318990

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing