22, The Close


Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023601

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Statutory Address: 22, THE CLOSE


Ordnance survey map of 22, The Close
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 13:41:49.


Statutory Address: 22, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14351 29711


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 1429 3/39


GV II Late C18 extension and partial recasing of earlier building, probably medieval foundations and originally one outbuilding of "Aula Le Stage" No 21- 21A The Close. 2 storeys red brick. The rear north elevation with tile hung 1st floor and old stone rubble and flint on ground floor. Old tile roof hipped to left and gabled to right. South entrance front has 4 casements 1st floor, left hand pair original leaded, others altered. 3 casements on ground floor, one leaded others modern. One glazed and panelled door and plain door with hood on shaped brackets. West gable end has vitreous brick panel 1st floor and sash window with glazing bars on ground floor. The east gable end has base of stone flint and brick external chimney, now flush with wall as house was extended by one bay during late C18 alterations. Interior: staircase with simple "Chinese" pattern balusters. Some exposed beams on ground floor. 5 bay roof, crown post, some members removed on renewed. Some bricks on south front have carved dates of 1775 and 1790, no doubt contemporary with alterations.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1435129711


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318997

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing