35 AND 35A, THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1023608
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Oct-1972
Statutory Address:
35 AND 35A, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 35 AND 35A, THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:07:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
35 AND 35A, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14211 29656

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 Nos 35 & 35A (Formerly listed as No 35) SU 1429 NW 3/30 28.2.52. II* GV

2. C16 and probably earlier. Altered C18 and C19. 2 storeys and attic. Steep hipped old tile roof. North front: brick with some stone rubble in chimney and flint work in lower parts of wall. Irregular stone mullioned casements with small barred lights, one C18 sash window and 2 wood casements. Half gable with chimney to left of centre. Door of 4 flush panels, flat hood on shaped brackets. The south front altered C18 and later with rendered facing. Irregular fenestration with 2 half octagon superimposed bays flanking C19 canted bay window on 1st floor to right of centre. Half octagon bay to left has tiled gable. Outer bays have 3 light windows, one other window to left, and early C18 window to left of centre on 1st floor. Some with glazing bars intact. Large 4 light leaded casement (C19?) under C19 bay window and 6 panel door, partly glazed, in plain frame to right of centre with flanking pilasters and flat hood on cut brackets. Picturesque building.

All the listed buildings in the Close form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1421129656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319014
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07987/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].