Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1023638

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952



© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2019 at 12:39:58.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14162 29803


CRANE STREET 1. 1594 (South Side) Nos 99 & 101 SU 1429 NW 3/63 (Church House incorporating Audley House) 28.2.52. GV 2. A group of buildings round a courtyard dating back in part to C15. Alteration in C18 and in 1887 particularly west river front by Crickmay of Weymouth. Crane Street front of North block C15, altered. 2 storey, ashlar stone. Old tile roof. This street front is an unsymmetrical composition with a large 4-centred, moulded and splayed arch to the left hand of centre with small 2-light casement window with drip mould over. The archway has a contemporary oak double door with tracery and studding. To the right hand of the archway - 2 8-light moulded stone mullioned and transomed windows, the upper lights with tracery lighting the Hall which is the whole height of the building. To the right hand of these 1 small 2-light window on each floor with tracery and drip moulds, and a small gabled tile hung dormer over. The gabled end of the west side of the courtyard projects with overwailing 1st floor, tile hung, and a chimney shaft to the left hand. To the left hand of archway 2 C18 windows have been inserted on the 1st floor and one on the ground floor. The glazing bars of ground floor windows have been removed. South elevation of North Block. C15 with C19 restorations. Flint with ashlar stone dressings. Old tile roof. 1 3-light gabled dormer over archway. 1 2-light moulded stone mullioned windows with drip mould over at 1st floor. To left hand of archway 2 8-light mullioned and transomed windows corresponding to those on north elevations. At right angles to the Hall, C15-16, 2-storey ashlar stone wing with tile hung gabled end with one 4-light moulded stone mullioned and transomed window. On west elevation of this wing - one 4 light moulded stone mullioned and transomed window at 1st floor and one 4-centred arched doorway (C16) on ground floor. In the angle between this wing andthe Hall is a 2-storey angular bay with hipped old tile roof. 5-light moulded stone mullioned, traceried window at 1st floor. 12-light moulded stone mullioned and transomed window - the top lights with tracery on the ground floor. East elevation of West Block. West side of courtyard. C15-C16. 2 storey and attic. Brick with projecting plinth and moulded stone band at 1st floor level. Old tile roof. 3 hipped dormer windows. One 3-light window with moulded oak mullions one central rectangular, one-storey bay on brackets and 2 4-light moulded oak mullioned on 1st floor. The bay has 8 lights on front and 2 on each side with moulded oak mullions. The lights in the bay and the 4-light windows have been glazed with plate glass. 5 irregular windows and 2 doors on ground floor - 4 6-light moulded oak, mullioned and transomed windows and 1 4-light all with modern leaded lights. Both doors have modern moulded and splayed door surrounds with 4 centred arches over. West elevation of West Block Extends along the river - C15-C16, 2 storey and attic, brick tile hung gables and old tile roof. Stone mullioned windows on ground floor and half timbering, irregular windows to upper floors. All this front rehandled by Crickmay. South block - north elevation The range was built in 1728, recasing range added to house in 1637, on conversion to a workhouse. 3 storey, brick, projecting plinth. Stone bands at 1st and 2nd floor levels. Windows have stone cills and keystones moulded and coved eaves cornice. Hipped old tile roof. 9 windows on upper floors. 6 windows and 2 doors on ground floor. Double doors in moulded architrave surround - each door 3 panels with flat moulded cantilever hoods with deep mitred cove under. Audley House was originally the house of Webb, a cloth merchant. The south block was a 'hospital' for old men. Interiors: the hall has a roof with collar beams on thin arched braces, tracery above collars and 2 tiers of windbraces. Wall posts rest on stone demi-figures of angels with shields, one with merchant's mark. Reset massive chimney piece. Another reset with cusped quatrefoils in entrance room to front and again in ground floor room of west range. Only chimney piece in original position in the solar, lintel with 3 very large quatrefoils. Elizabethan ribbed plaster ceiling. Very picturesque building.

Nos 87 to 101 (odd) form an important group.

Listing NGR: SU1416229803


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319081

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing