ST ELIZABETH'S CONVENT AND ST OSMUND'S ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1023664

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: ST ELIZABETH'S CONVENT AND ST OSMUND'S ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL, 131, EXETER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ELIZABETH'S CONVENT AND ST OSMUND'S ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:43:26.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ELIZABETH'S CONVENT AND ST OSMUND'S ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL, 131, EXETER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14509 29217

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EXETER STREET 1. 1594 No 131 (St Elizabeth's Convent & St Osmund's Roman Catholic Primary School) SU 1429 SE 6/361 28.2.52. II* 2. The Convent house is C18 altered circa 1800. 3 storeys colourwashed brick with projecting stone bands between storeys. Moulded stone cornice and blocking course. Gable end slate roof. 2 tripartite sash windows flanking central single window on upper floors and 2 tripartite sashes flanking entrances on ground floor. All have glazing bars intact. Central door of 6 fielded panels with radiating semi-circular fanlight under good Doric porch of columns and wall pilasters, entablature with large dentilled cornice and moulded dentil open curved pediment hood. 2 storey extension of one bay with old tile roof to left, one flush framed sash each floor, 4 panes wide. 2 storey early to mid C19 painted brick south wing with hipped slate roof, tripartite sashes, one each floor and projecting rendered section also with hipped slate roof. To left and projecting level with street a 2 storey red bric k chapel block on rendered plinth, mid Cl9. Brick band between storeys with fleur-de-lis ornament returned to south gable end. Hipped slate roof with bracketed eaves. 3 pointed sash windows to both floors facing street, rendered arches. South gable end has similar windows, one on 1st floor and ground floor right. In centre a pointed arched door also with rendered arch. St Osmund's School adjoins to north. Circa 1890 related to St Osmund's Church qv. A 2 storey block of flint and ashlar blocks. Ashlar quoins (possible reuse of older material). Moulded string over ground floor windows. Hipped tile roof. Ashlar chimney stacks over eaves. 4 windows to both floors, stone mullioned and transomed of 3 and 2 lights. To rear a single storey with dormers in similar style.

Listing NGR: SU1450929217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319131

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing