GENERAL INFIRMARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023669

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Statutory Address: GENERAL INFIRMARY, FISHERTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GENERAL INFIRMARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:58:05.

Location

Statutory Address: GENERAL INFIRMARY, FISHERTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14134 29958

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FISHERTON STREET 1. 1594 (South Side) General Infirmary SU 1429 NW 3/468 II 2. Main centre block 1767-71 by John Wood of Bath. Very much enlarged 1845 and 1869 and modern extensions. Original centre block 4 storeys red brick. Stone frieze with inscription: "General Infirmary supported by voluntary Contribution 1767". Stone cornice, originally with crenellation above. 7 windows, recessed sashes, glazing bars intact 2nd floor and ground floor, some on 1st floor. Low broad centred doorway with engaged Doric columns, broken entablature and open moulded pediment, stone. Wings of 1845 and 1869 with half octagon bays, hipped slate roofs. South front retains crenellated parapet, also of 7 windows, most of glazing altered. Interior retains one ward in original state and chapel with fine reredos consisting of 2 tablets of Laws in frame of engaged fluted Composite columns, moulded entablature and pediment with modillions and dentil and egg and dart mouldings. Guilded spray in tympanum.

Listing NGR: SU1413429958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319141

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing