This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BULBRIDGE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BULBRIDGE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1023746

Location

BULBRIDGE HOUSE, SOUTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5409 SOUTH STREET Bulbridge House SU 03 SE 1/44 4.8.51. II

2. An ancient site. The 3 storey circa 1700 house reduced and altered by James Wyatt circa 1794, with some later alterations, partly by James Wyattville circa 1844. 2 storeys pink stucco with hipped slate roofs. South front has string, modern cornice, parapet and coping swept up at each side. A 5-bay front with small upper and tall ground floor windows, glazing bar sashes with louvred shutters. Tripartite half-glazed central door with segmental head. East front (entrance) has 2 bull's-eye windows on 1st floor to left and a tripartite sash with leaded glazing and segmental headed centre light on ground floor (introduced 1933). Centre and right part older: 4 bays, Corinthian doorcase with broken segmental pediment (circa 1700) to left. North front: 2½ storeys, angled bay to left and pedimented doorway with projected fanlight. West front: 2 storey recessed bay to right. Linked to servant's quarters adjacent to which is Rex Whistler's: Temple (1934-9) with an elliptic front of Greek Ionic columns, niches to sides. Interior: retains considerable number of late C18 fittings including even flock wallpaper in the dining room. The stair hall has a low groined ceiling with thin plasterwork, the 1st floor rooms have coved, almost barrel-vaulted, ceilings to gain height within the roof space. Elegant 1794 staircase with gallery to 1st floor.

Listing NGR: SU0940030891

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 09400 30891

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023746 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 10:51:21.

End of official listing