This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1023794



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Britford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Mar-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319412

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/32 Nos. 1 and 2 Moat House (formerly listed as The Moat) 23/3/60 II

Large detached house, now divided into two dwellings. C17 with substantial remodelling and additions of 1766 and early C19. C17 range flint and stone, red or pale yellow brick to later ranges and facades, Welsh slate hipped roofs with stacks of red or pale yellow brick. Central C18 range with additional wings to rear and sides. 2- storey front has thirteen windows grouped in seven bays. Glazed and panelled door to right of centre has flat wooden hood and pilasters, to left of door are two 9-pane sashes and to right is one 9-pane sash; all with segmental heds. These two central bays flanked by 2-storey brick canted bays each with three 9-pane sashes to ground floor, to right are two C20 windows and to left is one C20 window. First floor has two pairs of ogee-headed sashes with Gothick tracery in centre with same windows in bays and to right, to left are C20 casements on first and second floors of service wing. Centre bays and canted bays have brick battlemented parapet. Right return has central door with segmental head and tripartite casement to right, to left are two C20 windows, first floor has tripartite casements with Gothick leading either side of blind window; all with segmental heads. 3-storey left return has central door with segmental head and one segmental-headed casement to right on each floor, to left are two segmental-headed casements. Rear garden front in yellow brick is 2-storey with 5 windows, all with segmental heads. Central glazed door has segmental head, two 6- pane sashes either side, ground floor has projecting brick quoins. Plat band to first floor, five 12-pane sashes. Moulded wooden cornice. Wing to left with French windows and 9-pane sashes and wing to right with French windows and sashes with segmental heads. Lead downspouts to front and rear. Interior not inspected, but recorded by R.C.H.M.: Front entrance hall has plaster cornice of early C18. South ground floor drawing room has original joinery and marble fireplace with fluted surround and paterae. Early C19 stairs with turned newels, stair hall top lit by glass dome on fluted drum. Main drawing and ante room on first floor overlooking garden to south; good plaster work and marble fireplace of c1820 with reeded surround and paterae and central panel above with carved fruit in basket. North side has fittings of c1740 with corniced ceiling and eared surround to fireplace, and doors with fielded panels. History: Property of Jervoise family from 1542, Richard Jervoise added north wing and vaulted ground floor wine cellar c1740. In 1766 Tristram Jervoise added brick front facade with battlement bays and Gothick detail, and in c1820 George Jervoise added south range and encased sides in matching yellow brick. The large moat surrounding the house may be C18 remodelling of an earlier moat. (Unpublished Records of R.C.H.M. (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU1612028304

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 16120 28304


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2018 at 07:31:24.

End of official listing