Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ODSTOCK MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:18:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 14810 26032



4/152 Odstock Manor House



Large house with attached cottage. Late C17 with alterations and additions of C18 and early C20. English bond brick on brick plinth with moulded stone capping, limestone quoins, steeply pitched hipped tiled roof, brick stacks. C19 cottage has bands of brick and flint and stone with English bond brick gable and tiled half- hipped roof. L-plan. 2-storey, 6-window asymmetrical front. 6- panelled door in 3rd bay from right has C20 stone pediment and architrave with round-arched side lights, to right are two C18 24- pane sashes with segmental heads, to left are three cross windows with hood moulds. First floor has four cross windows and two C18 inserted sashes. Set in wall to left of door is tablet with carved arms of Webb family and date 1567. Coved eaves cornice. One central hipped dormer with sash. Right return has French windows and 12-pane sash to first floor with 2-light ovolo-mullioned window to single-storey C20 extension. Left return has pilaster with moulded string course and one hipped dormer to roof. Rear has one 4-light ovolo-mullioned window with hood mould to ground floor right, with two cross windows to first floor. Attached to centre is 2-storey early C20 extension with pediment; sashes and bolection-moulded doorcase to left on ground floor, first floor has ovolo-mullioned windows. Two pairs of diagonally-set brick stacks to main roof, and two hipped dormers. Interior: Early C18 fittings include doors with 6-fielded panels and pulvinated or egg-and-dart moulded architraves with cornices, main ground floor room has stone fireplace with pulvinated bayleaf frieze, shouldered architrave and egg-and-dart cornice, drawing room has overmantel with mirror in shouldered architrave with open pediment, egg-and-dart ornament and acanthus leaf pulvinated frieze. Stone floors to ground floor. Garden lobby to rear has 2- bay groin-vaulted roof of early C20. Stairs of early C20 in rear extension. First floor bedroom has stone Tudor-arched fireplace with carved spandrels and joggled lintel on shafts. Large first floor room has C19 Tudor-arched fireplace with cornice. Cottage attached to left is single-storey with attic hipped dormers, 2- light cast-iron casements and half-glazed door. Right return has one 2-light casement. Rear of cottage has two dormers to roof, brick stack with toothed band. House occupied by the Webb family from 1541 with rebuilding in C17, some demolition in 1706 and alterations in C18. The C19 and C20 additions to rear incorporate some reused materials from the site of the early C18 demolitions. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU1481026032


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05294/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Geraghty. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].