This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOWNTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND (CONTROLLED) PRIMARY SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOWNTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND (CONTROLLED) PRIMARY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1023886

Location

DOWNTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND (CONTROLLED) PRIMARY SCHOOL, GRAVEL CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Downton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319630

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWNTON GRAVEL CLOSE SU 1721 (west side) 5/71 Downton C of E (Controlled) Primary School

II

Board school, now primary school. 1895. Flemish bond brick with limestone dressings, tiled roof, brick stacks. E-plan. Single storey, ten windows. Projecting gable to left of centre has elliptical-arched doorway with 2-light mullioned window over, to left is 3-light mullioned and transomed window in Tudor-arched opening with traceried panel over in gable, with date 1895. To left and right are groups of sashes with pivot windows; the centre of each group has hipped gablet over. To right is projecting gable with groups of sashes with stone mullions and transoms. Stepped eaves course, saddleback coping to gables. Lead and cast-iron cylindrical vents to ridge of roof have conical cappings, brick stacks have good decorated pots. Octagonal limestone belfry over front door has traceried and chamfered openings and ogee roof with weathervane. Left and right returns have similar groups of sashes, with stone mullions and transoms to left return. To rear are three gabled wings with groups of tall sashes and pivot- windows, all with cambered flat arches and keystones, loop vents over. Coverd yards between the wings have corrugated-iron arched roofs on cast-iron piers. Interior has planked doors and glazed sliding partitions between larger rooms. Partly exposed roof timbers on stone corbels. A good, unaltered example of a Board School, founded after the Elementary Education Act of 1870.

Listing NGR: SU1742321570

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 17423 21570

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023886 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 06:00:36.

End of official listing