This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LANDFORD LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LANDFORD LODGE

List entry Number: 1023914

Location

LANDFORD LODGE, BARROWS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Landford

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319705

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANDFORD BARROWS LANE SU 22 SW (north side) 7/146 Landford Lodge 23/3/60

GV II

Detached country house. Late C18. Flemish bond brick, hipped tiled roof, brick stacks. Square plan with attached services around square courtyard. 2-storey with attic, 7-bay front. Central 3 bays have applied order of Ionic pilasters with pediment, central double doors with fielded panels, and fanlight have pediment over on pilasters, to either side are three 12-pane sashes. First floor has seven sashes. Moulded cornice and plain blocking course to roof; attic has four raking dormers with 6-pane sashes. Right return has 12-pane sashes and glazed door to ground floor, four sashes to first floor, two raking dormers with 2-light casements, plain lead rainwater heads and downpipes. Left return has glazed door and 9-pane and 12-pane sashes, some blind windows, two raking dormers to roof. All sashes have flat-arched heads. Rear has attached service block, around square courtyard, three blocked round-arched openings on side nearest house, 3-light casements to other sides, brick dentilled eaves cornice to hipped tiled roof. Interior: fittings are mostly of early C19; doors with 6 fielded panels in moulded architraves, stairs with turned balusters, top- lit by dome on fluted drum. C19 classical marble fireplaces, one in dining room with caryatids. Some C18 fireplaces with beading, in north rooms. History: rebuilt by Sir William Heathcote of Hursley and sold 1776. Most of the present house dates from after 1776 when rebuilding work completed by Charles Spooner. Early C19 interior dates from occupancy by Greatheed family. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)

Listing NGR: SU2467120157

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 24671 20157

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 10:58:19.

End of official listing