This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

List entry Number: 1023968

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Tilshead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319876

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TILSHEAD HIGH STREET SU 04 NW (north side) 1/267 Church of St. Thomas a Becket 18/2/58 GV I Anglican parish church. Early C12 nave and arcades, mid-C13 chancel, C17 and C18 renovations, restoration of 1845-6 by T. H. Wyatt and D. Brandon, of 1904 by Medlicott. Roughly chequered flint and limestone, Welsh slate roofs and tiles to conical tower roof. Consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, central tower, south porch and north vestry, the latter two are of 1845. South porch is gabled with coped verge and diagonal buttresses, pointed door with hoodmould and foliated terminals. South aisle has C19 square-headed window with 2 lights and quatrefoil and hoodmould to either side of porch, plain parapet. Clerestory with two C19 quatrefoils. To right is 2-stage tower, buttressed and with C17 3-light round-arched window with relieving arch to ground floor, to left is lancet with shutter, bell stage has moulded offset and louvred round-arched lancet, C17 conical tiled roof with plain Cl9 parapet. South side chancel has small low lancet to left, pointed chamfered doorway and two lancets to right, east end has diagonal buttresses and three lancets with ogee trefoil heads of c1350, north side has two lancets and small low lancet to right. North side of tower has C19 2-light C16-style window with hoodmould, one square-headed window to bellstage. C19 lean-to vestry has pointed door with foliated terminals to hoodmould and 2- light C16-style window. North aisle has 3-light C16-style window with lancet either side, clerestory has two quatrefoils. West end has diagonal buttresses and trefoiled lancet to north aisle and 3- light Perpendicular-style window to nave. Interior: C15 inner south doorway has double-chamfered Tudor arch, above is ogee-headed niche. 3-bay nave has C19 king-post roof, braced onto corbels, with arch-bracing to principals, round-arched arcade on square chamfered piers with plain capitals, C14 ogee- headed piscina on south wall, Cl9 pointed doorway to vestry in north aisle. Double-chamfered pointed arches to base of tower from nave and chancel have square chamfered responds. C17 collar and tie-beam roof to chancel. Stone floors throughout. Fittings include cylindrical stone font with zigzag carving of c1100 in north aisle. C18 Communion rail with turned balusters, stone pulpit and north aisle pews of 1845, Royal Arms of 1805 above arch to tower from nave. Fine pair of wall tablets in tower, both pedimented with carved aprons, on north wall to Margaret Edwards, died 1755 and on south wall to Rev. John Edwards, died 1782. Classical marble tablets in nave; to Richard Norris died 1826, to Margaret Hayward died 1846 and one to Mary Lawes died 1834 and signed by Osmond of Sarum. The plan and Cll importance of Tilshead suggest that a Saxon church may have preceded this one. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England),Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU0347647988

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 03483 47989

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 11:21:39.

End of official listing