BARN AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDINGS AT ELSTON HILL FARM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1023974

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1992

Statutory Address: BARN AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDINGS AT ELSTON HILL FARM

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDINGS AT ELSTON HILL FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1023974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 00:00:09.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDINGS AT ELSTON HILL FARM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Orcheston

National Grid Reference: SU 06810 45719

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 93 SE 1/0001

Barn and attached farmbuildinqs at Elston Hill Farm

GII Farmbuildings.1840's for Stephen Mills including resited late C18 barn.North range,including barn of weatherboarding over timber frame with hipped corrugated iron roof;east range of flint with brick dressings and gabled slate roof;west range of lime rendered cob with hipped slate roof,with low cob and slate range connected to smithy at south end of knapped flint with brick dressings,gabled slate roof and brick end stacks.PLAN:built around three sides of south-facing yard;to north is nine-bay barn with south aisle and two threshing bays flanked by three-bay cartsheds each end with granary to left over;east cowhouse range of one storey,ten bays,with bull pen to south; west stable range of two storeys with further range to south consisting of one-storey three-bay loosebox range connected to two-storey smithy.North range:sliding doors to all openings,including two double doors and two loft doors.West range has timber lintels over all openings.East range is open-sided to yard, with stone-quoined doorway to east and brick-quoined doorway to south gable.Lower range to south of west stable range has three large doors with adjoining windows to east front,window to left with original glazing.Smithy has segmental-arched brick-quoined doorway to east and two-window south gable with brick segmental-arched windows.INTERIOR:Granary and stable have king-post trusses.Barn has late C18 timber-framing with bracing to tie beams and arcade plates and mid C19 queen-strut trusses.First-floor corn mill to west of barn and over cartshed is noted as having quern stones.This is the principal range of buildings on this large (600 acres in 1914) sheep-and-corn farmstead.It is a good example of an improved farmstead of the "High Farming" era built on the estate of Stephen Mills,who was a pioneer of agricultural improvement on Salisbury Plain and one of the foremost agriculturalists in southern England in his use of advanced technology.

Listing NGR: SU0681045719

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319895

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing