This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ARMSCOTE OLD MEETING HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARMSCOTE OLD MEETING HOUSE

List entry Number: 1024059

Location

ARMSCOTE OLD MEETING HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tredington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306576

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TREDINGTON ARMSCOTE SP2444 8/210 Armscote Old Meeting House - II Meeting house, formerly barn. C17, converted c.1674. Squared, coursed limestone with ashlar quoins. C20 tile roof. One storey; 3-window range. To centre a double plank door with chamfered wood lintel. To left, centre left and right a late C17 wood cross casement with leaded lights. A lean-to, supported on chamfered wood pillars with stone bases, extends the length of the front. Further cross casement to left gable end. Interior: said to contain some benches. The Meeting House has connections with the Quaker George Fox who was an acquaintance of John Halford, the owner of Armscote Manor House where Fox was arrested. George Fox records in his Journal 'in 1673,.....we travelled into Worcestershire and went to John Halfords', at Armscote in Tredington parish, where we had a very large and precious meeting in his barn, the Lord's powerful presence being amongst us'. The barn is thought to have become a permanent meeting house soon after. (Southall, K.H., Our Quaker Heritage: Early Meeting Houses , p.61).

Listing NGR: SP2456044742

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Southall, K H, Our Quaker Heritage Early Meeting Houses61

National Grid Reference: SP 24553 44741

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 06:15:15.

End of official listing