CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024080

Date first listed: 16-May-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 21:22:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Stretton-on-Fosse

National Grid Reference: SP 22342 38339

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRETTON ON FOSSE Church of St. Peter SP2238 15/155 GV II

Church. 1841 by Thomas Johnson. Limestone ashlar with plinth, offset buttresses, moulded cornice and coped gables with kneelers. Slate roof. Chancel and nave, with west tower in Gothic Revival style. Chancel of one bay with vestry to south. To east a 4-light window in the Decorated style with hood mould and foliage carved label stops. Plank vestry door to south within chamfered pointed arch with hood mould and label stops. Small one-light cusped window to east. Nave of 4 bays. To north and south four 2-light cusped windows in the Decorated style with hood moulds and label stops. West tower of 2 stages. To west, double plank doors within pointed arch chamfered surround with hood mould and label stops. Above a 2-light, cusped window in the Decorated style with hood mould and label stops. To north and south a single cusped light. To north, west and south of second stage a stair turret light with chamfered surround. Octagonal bell stage, each face with a cusped light and gablet, with coping and carved head corbels. Small octagonal spire with carved finial and weathervane. Interior; chancel has small cusped piscina to north within chamfered surround. To east a stone painted reredos within cusped panels and fleuron carved decorations above. Small castellated parapet over. East window has internal hood mould with foliage label stops. Wood west gallery supported on square wood piers with Early English style shafts to either side, springing to form depressed arches under panelled gallery parapet. Nave 'hammer beam' roof. Simple C19 and C20 wall tablets, one of 1871 and 1880 in north-east wall of nave with foliage carved surround in Arts and Crafts style. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.3, p,156; Buildings of England Warwickshire, p.421).

Listing NGR: SP2234238339

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306521

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 156
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 421

End of official listing