CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1024086
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
16-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024086.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:31:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tidmington
National Grid Reference:
SP 26147 38557

Details

TIDMINGTON SP23NE 7/173 Church of unknown dedication 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church (dedication unknown))

GV II*

Church, Dates from c.1200, with early C13 tower and chancel rebuilt early C16, Restored 1874. Squared, coursed limestone with ashlar, slate roofs, and stone slate roof to tower. Chancel, nave with south porch and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays with plinth and coped gable on kneelers, and moulded cornice. Early C16. East square headed window of 3 scalloped lights with mouchettes above. Moulded surround, with hood mould and label stops. To south two early C16 square headed windows, one of 2 cusped lights, the other, towards east, of 2 lights with scalloped heads. Hood moulds and label stops. Further early C16 square headed window to north of 2 scalloped lights, with hood mould and label stops. Nave of 2 bays with coped gables and offset buttresses. To south a C19 stone gabled porch with coped gable and buttress. Pointed arch doorway with moulded surround, and Early-English style shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Hood mould with carved head label stops. c.1200 doorway with cushion capitals supporting a tympanum with central carved motif and moulded surround. C19 plank door. To either side of porch, and towards east of north side, a C19 two-light window in the Early-English style with quatrefoil-pierced plate and hood mould. Towards west of north side a single round-headed chamfered light. Restored north round-headed doorway with moulded surround and plank door. Early C13 west tower of 3 stages with flat buttresses. To north a stone lean-to vestry, to west a plain double chamfered light. To second stage north and south a plain chamfered light. To third stage north, south and west a 2-light window with central shaft with moulded base and capital. Unpierced tympanum, and hood mould. Single chamfered light to east. C13 corbel table of carved human and beasts heads. Moulded stage bands. Pyramidal roof. Interior: splayed east window. C12 piscina in south wall with scalloped bowl. C19 coloured tile chancel floors. Chamfered chancel archway, the arch itself double chamfered. Triple chamfered tower arch, the innermost order supported on C13 corbels and carved head of a man and woman. C19 pointed doorway into vestry to north. C13 round font, with carved seated figure of a saint to one side. In north-west of nave are C15 restored benches, with panel tracery. The front bench end has poppyhead. Eleven C19 and one C20 wall tablets. C19 glass in east window, and south-east window of nave. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.433; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.3, p,450-451).

Listing NGR: SP2614738557

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
306539
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 450-1
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 433

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10790/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].