This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE DOWER HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DOWER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1024113

Location

THE DOWER HOUSE, BACK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ilmington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306398

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILMINGTON BACK STREET SP2043 (West side) 9/34 The Dower House 02/09/52 (Formerly listed as Dower House)

GV II

House. C16 and C17. Limestone ashlar with quoins and coped gables. Stone slate roof with ashlar ridge stacks. 2 storeys plus attic; 3-window range. Double depth plan, the gabled wings to front. To centre a C20 plank door within moulded stone surround With hood, and lintel with keystone. To left of door a 6-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window with king mullion. To right a 5-light mullioned window. To left and right of first floor a 4-light mullioned window with a 2-light mullioned window between. In each gable a 3-light mullioned window. All mullioned windows have hood moulds and label stops. Small coped gable to centre. Interior: Cl6 north side has spine beams with ogee stops. Also. ovolo-moulded spine beam. Chamfered spine beams to first floor. Stone flagged floors. Timber and plaster partition. C18 turned-baluster-dog-leg staircase rising to attics. Original landing planks. In first floor room a date is scratched, 1721. To first floor a stone fireplace with ovolo hood and carved lintel. Also a carving of the Tudor Rose to centre. Further moulded fireplace, with moulded hood. In attic, trusses of queen strut roof visible. Original purlins. Some old plank doors remain. In mullioned window an original casement with catch. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.98-99).

Listing NGR: SP2089243572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 98-99

National Grid Reference: SP 20892 43572

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 05:58:41.

End of official listing