Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024118

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1988



Ordnance survey map of FOXCOTE HOUSE AND ARCHWAYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024118 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 06:31:52.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Ilmington

National Grid Reference: SP 19934 41832


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ILMINGTON FOXCOTE SP14SE 3/40 Foxcote House and attached 02/09/52 archways (Formerly listed under Foxcote House and chapel)


Manor house. Early C18. Attributed to Edward Woodward. Limestone ashlar with hipped slate roof and ashlar ridge and end stacks. 2 storeys plus attic; 9-window range. Double-depth plan. To centre a tall, paned, part-glazed double leaf door with moulded stone surround and flanking pilasters decorated with iron heads. To ground floor a range of 8, and to first floor a range of nine, 18-pane sashes with moulded architraves, on enriched consoles. The ground floor windows have moulded cornices. The range is divided into 5 bays, with single pilasters, Doric pilasters towards left and right and Doric columns to centre left and centre right forming a 3-window central bay surmounted by an inset pediment to the attic storey. A frieze with triglyphs runs the length of the building below the attic storey and is surmounted by a heavily moulded cornice. Five 6-pane sashes to attic, with a casement replaced to left. Further central sash has head fitting into the apex of the pediment. All sashes have moulded stone surrounds. To either side of pediment a small round window. Attic storey is divided into 5 bays by pilasters which continue from those below; each pilaster is surmounted by a large urn. Moulded cornice. The building has a moulded plinth with bases corresponding to the Doric columns and pilasters above. Above door a moulded armorial panel. To right a stone porch in same style, with 6-panelled door with moulded architrave and cornice. Long, one-storey range with sashes and panelled doors to left. Rear of building is similar to front except the doorway, which is surrounded by Corinthian columns and a broken, semi-circular pediment, and is approached by 2 flights of stone steps with a balustrade. Further sashes, blind windows and Ipswich windows to sides. To rear left and right a large round-headed archway. Interior: 6-panelled doors throughout ground floor, with moulded wood surrounds. Round-headed archways with pilasters. Central room has dado with Vitruvian rail. Moulded wood fireplace, with cornice. The doors have eared architraves, surrounded by friezes. Dining room has wood Ionic columns. Plaster frieze cornices. C18 cupboard. Staircase with wrought iron balustrade. Foxcote was the seat of the Canning family. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.99; Buildings of England, Warwickshire, p.317).

Listing NGR: SP1993441832


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306404

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 99
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 317

End of official listing